Michael has over 18+ years of HealthCare experience in Alaska. Working with Tribal and Non-profit organizations to develop and maintain compliance with internal and external regulatory oversight for an organization. He has helped train internal staff responsible for developing performance quality improvement initiatives, conducting risk assessments, billing and coding assessments, instrumental in evaluating healthcare compliance effectiveness, risk management and providing education and training for organizational staff and governing board members.
Michael’s community involvement includes:
- Coach and Parent volunteer for Soldotna Little League organization
- Athletic Director – Cook Inlet Academy
- Coach volunteer – USA Softball
- Church member – Roots Family Church, Kasilof
Michael lives in the Kenai Peninsula Borough with his wife and two children.
Michael’s professional memberships and experiences include:
- Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) and Society of Corporate Compliance Ethics (SCCE), member
- Compliance Certification Board
- Certification Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
- Certification Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)
- Taught classes on:
- Quality Assurance and Performance improvement
- Compliance Effectiveness
- Compliance program structure
- Privacy focus on (HIPAA/HITECH/Part 2)
- Compliance program effectiveness assessment to identify
- Areas of best practice
- Areas that need improvement
- Assist with the development of an ongoing work plan
- Ethics program review
- Led review of organization’s ethics program to ensure that statutory requirements were met and the program was operating in an effective manner
- Managed the development of an auditing and monitoring manual and staff education
- Healthcare Provider coding and billing review
- Managed staff in conducting a review of billing and coding practices to evaluate coding accuracy, analyzed results, prepared audit reports, and conducted follow-up education
- Risk Assessment
- Conducted risk assessment, developed risk matrix, engaged client in risk prioritization process, and assisted in the development of a mitigation plan
- Develop and delivering Short and Long term work plan
- Prepared and facilitated initial and re-accreditation preparedness for organization.
- COA- Council of Accreditation
- CARF- Commission on Accreditation Rehabilitation Facilities
- AAAHC- Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.
- Board education
- Developed and conducted education for a healthcare organization’s board of directors on their roles and responsibilities related to compliance program oversight.